Monday, March 12, 2007

tumhe yaad ho ke na yaad ho ...

Category : Ghazal
Poet : Momin Khan Momin (1800-1851)
Performers : Ghulam Ali


This is sometimes referred to as the best poem in the urdu language. The poet, a contemporary of Mirza Ghalib, was also his rival and both of them supposedly had a good time together.

The essence of the poem is reminiscings of an old love. Heartwarming. Especially with alcohol :)

: vo jo ham me.n tum me.n qaraar thaa tumhe.n yaad ho ke na yaad ho
: vahii yaanii vaadaa nibaah kaa tumhe.n yaad ho ke na yaad ho

: vo naye gile vo shikaayate.n vo maze maze kii hikaayate.n
: vo har ek baat pe ruuThanaa tumhe.n yaad ho ke na yaad ho

: ko_ii baat aisii agar hu_ii jo tumhaare jii ko burii lagii
: to bayaa.N se pahale hii bhuulanaa tumhe.n yaad ho ke na yaad ho

: suno zikr hai ka_ii saal kaa, ko_ii vaadaa mujh se thaa aap kaa
: vo nibaahane kaa to zikr kyaa, tumhe.n yaad ho ke na yaad ho

: kabhii ham me.n tum me.n bhii chaah thii, kabhii ham se tum se bhii raah thii
: kabhii ham bhii tum bhii the aashnaa, tumhe.n yaad ho ke na yaad ho

: hue ittefaaq se gar baham, vo vafaa jataane ko dam-ba-dam
: gilaa-e-malaamat-e-arqabaa, tumhe.n yaad ho ke na yaad ho

: vo jo lutf mujh pe the beshtar, vo karam ke haath mere haath par
: mujhe sab hai.n yaad zaraa zaraa, tumhe.n yaad no ki na yaad ho

: kabhii baiThe sab hai.n jo ruu-ba-ruu to ishaarato.n hii se guftaguu
: vo bayaan shauq kaa baramalaa tumhe.n yaad ho ki na yaad ho

: vo biga.Danaa vasl kii raat kaa, vo na maananaa kisii baat kaa
: vo nahiii.n nahii.n kii har aan adaa, tumhe.n yaad ho ki na yaad ho

: jise aap ginte the aashnaa jise aap kahate the baavafaa
: mai.n vahii huu.N "Momin"-e-mubtalaa tumhe.n yaad ho ke na yaad ho

This was also sung by Ghulam Ali (him with his soul rending voice) in a concert. Need that file? Let me know.

The poem's a wonderful one. It's kind of condescending, but yes, beautiful nonetheless. One of these days I'll update this and put in a neat glossary. Till then, you can buzz me and ask.

Source : www.urdupoetry.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Saumya.. I guess I stumbled across your blog through Vinod's. Interesting work :)

I absolutely loved reading lines to 'तुम्हे याद हो के न हो'

Would you have the sound track for it? :)

Also, I'm going to be super greedy and ask outrightly, would you also have 'आज जाने की ज़िद ना करो'?

You can email me and let me know :)

Thanks, the words made my day! :)

Keep writing, laugh hard, Good luck!

KKKK said...

hey...
I love Hindi songs, Sharukh etc. I don't know if the songs you post are from the Bollywood productions but if you could translate one of them for me that would be great.

Then again.. love is only vivid in poems and songs but I think men hardly have the time or the courage to express them in reality..